Sunday, July 11, 2010

chamber bitter

This is a plant with a small flower, Phyllanthus urinaria of the family euphorbiaceae:


It is an introduced species that looks vaguely fern-like.  Interestingly, it's flower is not conspicuous, rather grows out of the bottom of the stem that the leaves sprout from.  There is a leaf for every flower and they alternate as the stem grows outward.  On a longer stem, the full progression from bud to fruit can be seen, stage by stage, the youngest part distal.  These flowers are an example of the axillary arrangement. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Daniel,

My name is Tal and we met about a decade ago in a little town called Thurso in Northern Scotland. Remember?

Anyway, I was looking through some old junk and found the journal I kept during my trip and began reading it. Wow, what a time warp... At some point in the reading you appeared and so did a funny picture of you in sort of a superman pose (both hands on your waist) and you were wearing socks and sandals. In my journal I wrote about the interesting 2 days we spent together (you, my friend and I) and the interesting talks we had about theology and what not...

Anyway, seeing as technology has made this world tiny, I thought to look you up on the Internet and see where life has taken you.

If you feel like it, my email is talio289@yahoo.com (hasn't changed).

I hope you are living life to the fullest!
Warmest regards,
Tal

P.S - you look exactly the same in your picture..